Arc and Send Us Your Ideas for Possible New Legislation
I will be out of the office this week so you will not be hearing from me unless
something important breaks.
This week beginning Wednesday, The Arc of Illinois is the host for the National
Conference of Executives of The Arc Summer Training. We are proud to
welcome advocates from across the country to Chicago. Hope to see some of
The Arc of Illinois authors most of the disability legislation in Illinois. Progressive
public policy has a dramatic impact upon the lives of infants, children and adults
with intellectual and other developmental disabilities. Our ideas for new public
policy mostly come from our members.
This past year our signature legislation was the Employment First bill recently
signed into law by Governor Quinn.
I would invite you to recommend to our Public Policy Committee possible new
legislation for our consideration. You can do so by sending me an email with
your idea. It need not be a formal recommendation just your thoughts and why:
Some of our other past legislative initiatives include:
1. Elimination of “MR” Word from Illinois Statues.
2. Prohibition of the Death Penalty for Individuals with Intellectual
3. Cross-Disability Data-Base (PUNS Waiting List).
4. Prohibition of Aversive Behavior Techniques in the Community.
5. Age 22 Special Education.
6. Special Education Transfer of Rights Age 18.
7. Brittany’s Law!
Tony Paulauski Executive Director
The Arc of Illinois
20901 S. LaGrange Rd. Suite 209
Frankfort, IL 60423