The Value the Work Coalition has developed many excellent materials and an outline of activities as we fight for just wages for Direct Support Professionals.
We are almost there!
Please review and take action on the activities and events outlined below.
Included in these materials are:
- Campaign Activities
- CEO Activities
- Finding & Emailing Your State Legislators
- Call Your Legislators
- Legislative Office Visits
- Activities for Families & Self-Advocates
- Social Media Wednesdays
- Sign & Circulate the Petition
Also please share this information with other advocates.
HB 5931 Override Campaign – Fall 2016 Activities
Support Statewide Efforts to Assure that People with Intellectual and
Developmental Disabilities Have a Stable Direct Support Workforce
Below are a series of actions that everyone involved with the Veto Override Campaign is asked to carry out each week between now and November 14, 2016 to demonstrate to Illinois legislators the strength of our message. The most powerful voices in this Campaign are those of families, individuals themselves and friends and supporters who vote in local elections. Community agencies and direct support staff themselves must also play a strong role in this Campaign. Share this schedule and accompanying materials with everyone you know who cares about you, your family member and people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in your local community.
- Write Letters to the Editor every Monday of the campaign – choose a different local media outlet each week.
- Email your State Representative and Senator, along with the Governor’s office every Tuesday of the campaign to request support on the veto override until you get a commitment.
- Use all of your social media outlets every Wednesday of the Campaign to promote awareness about the critical role direct support staff play in the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and encourage others to share and re-post.
- Call your State Representative and Senator, along with the Governor’s office every Thursday of the campaign to request support on the veto override until you get a commitment.
Single Event Actions
Week of October 2 – 8, 2016
Electoral Forum Week – Community Agencies are asked to make a schedule of community and electoral forums and share with everyone connected to your organization. Obtain commitments from families, individuals and supporters to attend these events and assure that the veto override issue is heard at these events.
Week of October 9 – 15, 2016
Legislative Visit Week – Everyone involved with the Campaign should schedule a visit to the State Representative and Senator’s office to discuss the veto override. Even if you cannot meet directly with your legislators, express your concern to their office staff and assure they know you are constituents who expect the legislator’s support on this critical issue.
Week of October 16 – 22, 2016
Social Network Week – Use your in-person social networks to share information about the Veto Override Campaign and ask for support from others you know through your place of worship, gym, book club, school and other forums.
Week of October 23 – 29, 2016
Vendor Week – Community agencies are asked to contact vendors who provide goods and services to their organization to inform them of the Veto Campaign and solicit their support.
Week of October 30 – November 5, 2016
Media Contact Week – Community agencies that have a compelling story regarding the impact the direct support staff crisis is having on people living in the immediate community should contact media outlets to share their story
Monday, November 14, 2016
Call Your Lawmaker Day – Make a final effort to speak directly with your legislators or staff who work for them to make sure they know your position as a constituent on the veto override vote for HB 5931.
Value The Work Materials
- CEO ACTIVITIES
- FINDING & EMAILING YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS
- CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS
- LEGISLATIVE OFFICE VISITS
- ACTIVITIES FOR FAMILIES & SELF ADVOCATES
- SOCIAL MEDIA WEDNESDAYS
- SIGN THE PETITION
The Arc of Illinois
20901 S. LaGrange Rd. Suite 209
Frankfort, IL 60423