Join The Arc of Illinois to help support individuals and families and work with advocates to strengthen the system for people living in the community. We have three positions available that offer a flexible location and potential work from home opportunities!
Latino Outreach Coordinator – Life Span
Ligas Family Advocate – 2 North and South Positions (in word)
- Attorney General Forum: Even with the snow tomorrow, the Attorney General Candidates’ Forum is still on and we plan to have up to 8 candidates present. Feel free to come to Access Living 3 pm today! Here is the link to listen in if you are unable to attend in person. The Attorney General is responsible for many things related to disability issues especially the enforcement of the Olmstead Supreme Court Decision. To get the links for live webcast and CART, go to this link.
- Medicaid Issues: Are you or your family member having Medicaid redetermination or other issues? The Arc wants to hear from you and might be able to help direct you to the right person. Here is a form you can fill out and share to email@example.com. We are also advocating for HFS to try to help fix these issues related to the online system. We want to hear from you!
- Governor’s Budget Address: Mark your calendar for the Governor’s Budget Address, February 14 at 12 pm. You can listen on your local npr station or here.
- Arc of Illinois 2018 Public Policy Priorities. Let me know if you have questions!
- New Survey around individual plans for the Ligas Consent Decree – It is a 3 question survey but will help inform discussions about person centered plans/ISPs/Ligas transition plans are being written and implemented.
- NEW Employment Task Force Report: The EEOPD Task Force was created by the General Assembly in 2009 and has worked for the last 2 years to create actionable recommendations state agencies can take to support the State of Illinois goal of increasing competitive, integrated employment for persons with disabilities. Here is their report!
- Consumer Handbook for Home Based Services: n preparing for changes in the Home Based Services (HBS) program, the Division convened a stakeholder work group to review the Home Based Services (HBS) program and make recommendations to update and improve HBS and to align the HBS program with federal regulations, ensuring a person centered process. The Consumer Handbook was created to serve as a detailed guide for all HBS participants to manage their services.
- Government Is Open Today: After a night where Senator Paul and Minority Leader Pelosi tried to hold up the negotiation but eventually by almost 5 p m this morning, the Senate and the House voted on a two year budget that expands the deficit by $400 billion. This includes increases to the military and domestic spending including healthcare. Click here to get the blow by blow. DACA recipients are still waiting for any movement towards legislation protecting them.
- ACTION ALERT: Help fight HR 620 and protect the Americans with Disabilities Act. Next week the House is expected to vote on HR 620 which would water down the ADA. Please call your house members to say “Vote No on HR 620”. It will hurt people with disabilities. For more background on HR 620, click here. Your members of Congress need to know that this is absolutely unacceptable; please help by contacting them using this easy form.
Executive Leadership Conference
Thanks to all those who participated in The Arc Executive Leadership Conference last week. Thanks to all those who helped to lead round tables and/or sit on panel events. We had speakers including Secretary Dimas, Director Fenton, and Director Wade (DRS) as well as Al Condoluci and John Dickerson who challenged our thinking. Eleven groups lifted up their ideas about a range of topics through round tables. Here is Secretary Dimas’ power point that we were unable to include on the flash drive. At the Executive Forum, we will be following up from many of the discussions including the supported employment discussion.
Feb 13 – Don’t miss the Arc’s monthly webinars – next one is Feb 13 at noon. Click here for more information.
March 22 – Family Support Network/Ligas Services and Supports Informational Event – Free for families and self-advocates but you must register by sending an email to Shirley@thearcofil.org or calling 708-331-7370!
April 4 – In-Person Executive Forum
April 25-26 – Arc Convention, Save the Date!
The Arc of Illinois
20901 S. LaGrange Rd. Suite 209
Frankfort, IL 60423