Another Monday means another action alert. However, we are hearing that a Senate vote is expected tomorrow on healthcare. There a lot of pressure being applied on both sides in this fight, but WE CAN’T LOSE! There will be a vote on a motion to proceed. We want Senators to vote no. Senator Collins from Maine has already said she will oppose all of the healthcare proposals presented. Thus, the Senator Republicans cannot lose another vote (since Senator McCain is not voting).
We need to keep up the pressure!
- In IL, our Senators oppose medicaid cuts. However it is always helpful to call and say thank you. If you have a connection in another state through friends and family, PLEASE CALL THOSE SENATORS to ask them to “Oppose any cuts or caps to Medicaid”. Go through this link so we can track who is calling. Although our senators are supportive of Medicaid, it is still important to share stories, photos and impact of possible cuts. You can email, call or link to them on social media (@SenatorDurbin, @SenatorDuckworth).
- Call, email or connect on social media with your Representatives – the need to keep the education up as well! Go through this link so we can track who is calling.
- Use social media to engage your friends and families with the hashtags #SaveMedicaid; #NoCutsNoCaps, #JoinOurFight.
Great op ed by former Republican Senator David Durenberger from Minnesota. It has some great information and talking points: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/24/gop-senators-dont-approve-mystery-health-bill-david-durenberger-column/502976001/
- I am a person with I/DD, a family member of someone with I/DD, or a professional in the disability field, etc.
- I (or my family member or people I care for) depend(s) on Medicaid long term supports (or home and community supports) to live in my/our community.
- Please OPPOSE any legislation that will cut or cap Medicaid.
- These types of cuts would be devastating to me/us and other people with disabilities and their families.
- If you are a member of The Arc, please let them know.
We need to keep up the fight!
The Arc of Illinois
20901 S. LaGrange Rd. Suite 209
Frankfort, IL 60423