Financial Assistance for Training
The Arc of Illinois, through a grant from the Illinois Council on Developmental Disabilities, administers the Financial Assistance for Training and distributes consumer stipend funds to enable people with developmental disabilities and their family members to attend conferences of their choice that are directly related to developmental disability issues.
What kind of funding can I apply for?
An in-state or out-of-state conference directly related to developmental disabilities. Assistance may be provided for:
- Conference Registration
- Child Care
- Respite Care
- Personal Attendant
Who can apply?
- Illinois residents
- A person with a developmental disability
- Family members of a person with a developmental disability
- A guardian/foster parent of a person with a developmental disability
How much can I apply for?
- $450 per person per 12 month period
- $750 per family per 12 month period
Participants are limited to a maximum of two stipends per year per individual or family within funding limit.
- Any single conference is limited to a maximum of 25 consumer stipends or a maximum of $10,000 which ever occurs first. The stipends are issued on a first come first served basis.
- Organizations are limited to a maximum of 15 consumer stipends per conference submitted on behalf of people in their care.
- Anyone that has not provided complete documentation of and receipts for any Consumer Involvement Fund stipend received is ineligible for any further support until documentation is provided.
How do I apply?
The application form below must be completed and submitted with an attached copy of the conference brochure, as well as the completed conference registration form.
The following guidelines apply for eligibility consideration:
- The application must be filled out in the person(s) name attending the conference and hotel/motel
information and rates should be included, if requesting.
- All applications and conference registration forms should be received 30 days prior to the date of the
- Conference or workshop topics must specifically relate to developmental disability issues.
- Stipends are not approved retroactively for previously attended conferences.
How do I find out if I have been approved for stipend?
Applicants are notified in writing following the review team’s decision. The maximum financial assistance per year is $400/person or $700/family. Every effort is made to ensure the stipends are received before the scheduled event. Denials may be appealed in writing to The Arc of Illinois.
What are the requirements of stipend fund users?
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the original application form is complete. Where applications are incomplete, project staff will contact you to try and assist in completing the application; however, it is the applicants responsibility to make sure that they complete the application accurately.
- Applications are not considered completed until the conference brochure, conference registration form, and total conference expense details are submitted. Funds must be used for the stated purposes.
- Unused funds are returned so that more people with developmental disabilities can attend more conferences.
- Receipts are submitted for all expenses funded through the stipend.
- Any individual, family, or organization that has not provided complete documentation of and receipts for any Consumer Involvement Program stipend funds received is ineligible for further support until such documentation is provided.
People using stipends must complete and submit a post-conference evaluation form and are expected to:
- Use the information received through the conference attended to make a change in their life or to share the information with others.
- Include on the evaluation form what changes have been made or information shared after the conference.
What happens if I am denied? What is the appeal process?
If you have been denied a consumer stipend after submitting a complete application, you may appeal the denial. To appeal a denial, write a letter stating the reasons for your appeal and either fax or mail it to:
9980 190th Street, Suite C
Mokena, IL 60448
Click below for a Consumer Stipend Application